Public Accountability and Governance - Accounting Officers - DEFERRED
Catering for newly appointed Accounting Officers, this course provides an essential and concise introduction to the principles and mechanisms of public accountability as they affect the handling of public money and all aspects of the conduct of public business.The programme will cover:
- The principles and conventions governing the accountability of the civil service and other public bodies to the Northern Ireland Assembly;
- Relationships between core government departments and their arm's length bodies;
- Regularity, propriety and value for money; The specific duties and responsibilities of the Accounting Officer;
- The principles governing the stewardship of public funds, and the proper conduct of public business;
- The role of the Northern Ireland Audit Office and the Assembly's Public Accounts Committee; and
- Developments in corporate governance in the government sector.