Public Accountability and Governance - Accounting Officers
Catering for newly appointed Accounting Officers, this course provides an essential and concise introduction to the principles and mechanisms of public accountability as they affect the handling of public money and all aspects of the conduct of public business.
Steve Mungavin, Former Head of CIPFA Northern Ireland, will present the seminar which includes case study material, extracts from the proceedings of Public Accounts Committees, and contributions from the Comptroller and Auditor General, (NIAO) and the Treasury Officer of Accounts, (DFP).
The programme will cover:
- The principles and conventions governing the accountability of the civil service and other public bodies to the Northern Ireland Assembly;
- Relationships between core government departments and their arm's length bodies;
- Regularity, propriety and value for money; The specific duties and responsibilities of the Accounting Officer;
- The principles governing the stewardship of public funds, and the proper conduct of public business;
- The role of the Northern Ireland Audit Office and the Assembly's Public Accounts Committee; and
- Developments in corporate governance in the government sector.
The delegate fee is £375 +VAT for member organisations and £475 +VAT for non-member organisations.
A light lunch will be available immediately following the session.
For directions to Clare House, please follow this link: https://goo.gl/maps/iBzsr7Hm1cL2
Car parking is very limited at Clare House, so please use the overflow carpark at B&Q, which is approx 10mins walk from Clare House.