Public Accountability and Governance for Board Members
This half-day seminar targets independent board members of Government departments and non-executive directors of non-departmental public bodies, North-South implementation bodies, public corporations and other arm's length bodies (ALBs).
The seminar deals particularly with expectations of the Northern Ireland Assembly and taxpayers regarding the stewardship of public funds. Continuously updated the programme draws on the latest guidance and recommendations of the Assembly's Public Accounts Committee and best practice in public sector governance.
Brian Whalley, an independent consultant and acknowledged expert in this area, presents the seminar which will include a contribution from the Northern Ireland Audit Office.
The programme covers:
- Corporate governance arrangements in Government departments;
- The landscape of government: What does it mean to operate at 'arm's length'?;
- ALBS and their relationship with the sponsor department;
- The proper conduct of public business;
- Ethical standards relevant to the stewardship of public funds;
- Managing conflicts of interest;
- Codes of practice;
- Roles and responsibilities of ALB board members;
- The role of the Departmental and ALB accounting officer;
- External scrutiny: the Northern Ireland Audit Office and Assembly's Public Accounts Committee; and
- Sources of guidance and further reading.
The seminar fee is £200 + VAT.
A finger buffet lunch will be available during the session
To reserve a place on this seminar please click on the 'Register' button above and complete an online booking form or, alternatively, contact Kim McKnight at the Chief Executives' Forum on (E) firstname.lastname@example.org or (T) 028 9034 7400 or 7406.
House of Commons Public Accounts Committee
Northern Ireland Assembly Public Accounts Committee
Northern Ireland Audit Office
Department of Finance and Personnel
DFP Accountability and Financial Management Division
Malone House: Location Map