This half-day seminar targets members of the senior management team who support the chief executive in their accounting officer role: heads of finance and audit functions and, more generally, others who direct operations and otherwise determine the ways in which an organisation discharges its functions.
The programme will cover:
- Developments in corporate governance in central government;
- Accountability and responsibility: the personal responsibilities of the Accounting Officer (AO), and the obligation on the part of the senior management team to support the AO and to ensure that high standards of governance are carried through to the organisation and, where appropriate, its arm's length bodies (ALBs);
- Principles applying to the stewardship of public funds;
- Regularity, propriety and the proper conduct of public business;
- Key sources of guidance including recently published material;
- The scrutiny role of the Northern Ireland Audit Office; and
- The work of the Stormont Public Accounts Committee.
Steve Mungavin, Former Head of CIPFA Northern Ireland, will present the seminar which includes a contribution from the Northern Ireland Audit Office (NIAO)