Public Accountability & Governance Training for Accounting Officers
Catering for newly appointed Accounting Officers, this course provides an essential and concise introduction to the principles and mechanisms of public accountability as they affect the handling of public money and all aspects of the conduct of public business.
Steve Mungavin, Former Head of CIPFA Northern Ireland, will present the seminar which includes case study material, extracts from the proceedings of Public Accounts Committees, and contributions from the Comptroller and Auditor General, (NIAO) and the Treasury Officer of Accounts, (DFP).
The programme will cover:
- The principles and conventions governing the accountability of the civil service and other public bodies to the Northern Ireland Assembly;
- Relationships between core government departments and their arm's length bodies;
- Regularity, propriety and value for money; The specific duties and responsibilities of the Accounting Officer;
- The principles governing the stewardship of public funds, and the proper conduct of public business;
- The role of the Northern Ireland Audit Office and the Assembly's Public Accounts Committee; and
- Developments in corporate governance in the government sector.
Due to the current situation, this session will be delivered in accordance with Public Health Agency guidance at the time.
Cost: £375 + Vat for members or £475 + Vat for non-members.
Please note CEF operates on a cost recovery basis, therefore cancellations must be made 5 working days in advance of the event or the full fee will be charged for non-attendance, unless a suitable alternative delegate is nominated.