Public Accountability & Governance Training for Board Members
This half-day seminar targets independent board members of Government departments and non-executive directors of non-departmental public bodies, North-South implementation bodies, public corporations and other arm's length bodies (ALBs).
The seminar deals particularly with expectations of the Northern Ireland Assembly and taxpayers regarding the stewardship of public funds. Continuously updated the programme draws on the latest guidance and recommendations of the Assembly's Public Accounts Committee and best practice in public sector governance.
The programme will cover:
- Corporate governance arrangements in Government departments;
- The landscape of government: What does it mean to operate at 'arm's length'?;
- ALBS and their relationship with the sponsor department;
- The proper conduct of public business;
- Ethical standards relevant to the stewardship of public funds;
- Managing conflicts of interest;
- Codes of practice;
- Roles and responsibilities of ALB board members;
- The role of the Departmental and ALB accounting officer;
- External scrutiny: the Northern Ireland Audit Office and Assembly's Public Accounts Committee;
- Sources of guidance and further reading.
Steve Mungavin, Former Head of CIPFA Northern Ireland, will present the seminar which includes a contribution from the Northern Ireland Audit Office (NIAO).
*Due to the current situation, this session will be delivered in accordance with Public Health Agency guidance at the time.
There are a limited number of spaces on this course.
The cost will be £220+VAT for member organisations, and £320+VAT for non-member organisations.
CEF operates on a cost recovery basis, therefore cancellations must be made no later 5 than working days in advance of the event or the full fee will be charged for non-attendance.